Thanks to Susie at CastleBlake blog for giving my blog the Liebster Award!
The Rules of the Award: The Liebster Award is given
to bloggers, by bloggers. It is a way to acknowledge each other and
say, "You are doing a great job." It is for blogs with 200 or less
followers, so it is also a great way to spread the word about smaller
blogs and get them more readers and followers! When you receive the
award you post eleven random facts about yourself, and answer eleven
questions from the person who nominated you. You pass the award onto
eleven other blogs, (make sure you let them know they were nominated,)
and ask them eleven questions. You are not allowed to nominate the blog
that nominated you.
So let's see, 11 random facts about me...
1. I'm a military brat, born in England and lived in Germany, but moved back to the States just before I turned 2. There's a little Brit left in me-I like to drink hot tea with milk in it!
2. I have a big, black furry dog-a Newfoundland. Her name is Nanny's Bella Notte, named after the song in Lady and the Tramp. ("beautiful night" in Italian)
3. I'm allergic to melon. I developed the allergy while I was in grad school, so I know how incredibly tasty melon can be :-(
4. My oldest kid has a peanut allergy. He doesn't know the taste of peanuts, but he has told me that he's excited to go to heaven so he can eat M&Ms :_-(
Enough with the downer facts!
5. I play the cello. Well, "play" is an overstatement at this point as my poor cello hasn't seen the light of day since before by second child was born. Someday...
6. I love tangrams!
7. My favorite magazine is Brain, Child. It almost died due to the financial woes that plague most print media these days. But some awesome person swooped in and saved it. I'm so excited for my next issue. I call it my mommy porn! (Note: my husband and I use the term "porn" for anything you spend way to much time looking at, and has been upgraded since we became parents to also mean anything that causes you to ignore your children as they run around you like wild banchees.)
8. I have a 45 minute commute each way to work. It's not a stuck-in-traffic commute, so it's not terrible, but takes some time. I usually listen to NPR so I know what's going on. I drive a Honda Insight (hybrid) that gets >40 mph on average!
9. I have an awesome nanny whom the kids love. I couldn't survive in this career without her!
10. If you watch 30 Rock, I am so like Liz Lemon. (I want to go to there!)
11. It's a dry heat! I spent a big chunk of my childhood in Tucson.
The 11 questions asked by Susie:
1. What is the best vacation you've ever taken? While I was in Australia doing research, I took some time to do some sightseeing: Sydney, surfing Bondi Beach, snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef. It was awesome.
2. What is the most daring thing you've ever done? Took a nine month old on an airplane by myself, complete with carseat.
3. What is something you wish you could do better? Play the piano.
4. What are your favorite food flavors? Oh man, so many good flavors, I don't know if I have a favorite, but recently I've discovered the power of vinegar in making things pop!
5. What is your favorite dessert? Pie! (rhubarb is my favorite pie)
6. What is your favorite thing to actually cook? Pie! (especially after I got an apple machine and a pie crust bag)
7. What do you long for? I wish people of faith would accept each others' beliefs as legitimate.
8. How do you celebrate your favorite holiday? Christmas is my favorite, and there are so many things I love-decorating, singing carols, being with family. My husband calls me "Christmas Crazy."
9. When/how/why did you know your spouse was "the one"? Cuddling on the couch at Davidson, watching TV, discussing math (my major) and biology (his major). Nerds in love :-)
10. What is your favorite beverage? normal: Coke; legal: pina colada
11. What is one tradition your family had when you were growing up that you'd like to continue with your family? Playing games. It all starts with kiddy board games and Uno, and eventually leads to Euchre! The spark has already been lit in Mitchell.
And now I get to bestow the award on 11 blogs! Well, I don't actually follow 11 blogs, so congratulations to
my little brother, Todd, at Daily Climb
Ann at Reflections, Recipes, and Rants
Update: I realized that I forgot to come up with 11 questions for the awardees to answer!
1. What is your favorite childhood memory?
2. If you could visit anywhere in the world (that you haven't been yet), where would it be?
3. What is your favorite place that you have visited?
4. What is your favorite food (non-dessert)?
5. What is your favorite dessert?
6. Who has inspired you?
7. Who is your favorite scientist? (I don't count :-P)
8. What is your least favorite chore?
9. What teacher changed your life?
10. What's the best book you've read recently?
11. What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Happy blogging to all those that have received this award!